The influenza (flu) season is upon us. In these days of powerful antibiotics, impressive hospitals and expensive diagnostic equipment, the influenza virus still kills otherwise healthy adults and children. It kills, in the US, nearly as many persons as who perish in automobile accidents, yet we assume that the ‘guardians in white coats’ will save us this potential killer.
Well, the reality is that we have very few options to treat this viral infection, once it takes hold. We can, however, take steps to improve the immune system and thereby reducing the changes of contracting the illness or minimizing the potential for devastating morbidity.
These simple PREVENTIVE steps include:
- Adequate zinc intake, i.e. 25 to 50 mg of a zinc chelate per day.
- Age appropriate dosage of B-complex vitamins.
- Vitamin C, 500 mg two or three times daily.
For treatment the flu or other viral upper respiratory disorders, it is best to start early in the illness.
- NAC (n-acetyl cysteine) 500 mg three times daily.
- Licorice Root Extract 450 mg, twice daily.
- Colostrum 500 mg twice daily.
- Mushroom extract capsules (these can be tricky)
- Guaifenesin (Mucinex) two to four times, daily.
- Drink plenty of water (this assists in clearing the secretions, which can plug up the airways and lead to pneumonia)
I personally believe that the flu vaccination is important. Not because it necessarily prevents all flu infections (it doesn’t) but it does enhance the immune system so that if it is infected, the disease is milder.